What is it?
Alpha-Hydroxy Acids (AHAs) are chemical compounds which can be synthetic or naturally occurring. They work as a chemical exfoliant helping to dissolve the bonds between skin cells, allowing the dead skin cells to be removed from the skin’s surface, to reveal new, radiant skin. Chemical liquid exfoliants help to sweep away dead skin cells and can penetrate the skin, whereas physical exfoliants work only on the skin’s surface.
AHAs when naturally derived, usually come from fruits or sugar cane, and the types include glycolic acid, lactic acid, malic acid, tartaric acid, and citric acid.
Which Lucy Bee Products use it?
Our Lucy Bee Dazzling Tonic contains ACB Fruit Mix (which contains natural AHAs). It is enriched with 5% lactic acid (from bilberry), glycolic acid (from sugar cane), citric acid (from orange and lemon), and tartaric acid and malic acid (from sugar maple)
How does it help my skin?
- AHAs help to give you a smoother and brighter complexion, along with reducing the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines
- Minimises pores
- Increases cell renewal, this helps with the appearance of fine lines, pigmentation, pores, and dull, tired-looking skin
- Helps to tone and clear up your complexion
- Removal of dead skin cells helps to remove the build-up of dirt and grime
- After cleansing it helps to balance the pH level of your skin, allowing your face cream to be better absorbed
- Helps remove the appearance of blemishes and visible redness
- Gives you an all-over radiant, glow
ACB Fruit Mix: brightens the skin, improves exfoliation and enhances cellular proliferation (renewal)
- Lactic Acid: known efficient but gentle exfoliant, and moisturises the skin
- Bilberry Extract: helps to reduce redness due to calming properties
- Citric Acid: helps to exfoliate the skin, and remove dead skin cells on the surface
- Orange Extract: has antibacterial and toning properties which can help to brighten the skin, improve exfoliation, and increase cell proliferation
- Sugar Cane Extract and Sugar Maple Extract: brightens the skin, improves exfoliation, and enhances cell proliferation
Is it suitable for my skin type?
For those with very sensitive skin, chemical exfoliants can be a gentler alternative to using mechanical exfoliants (like face scrubs). Lactic acid has been found to be the best exfoliating acid for all skin types, and especially those with sensitive skin.
However, if you are apprehensive, you can start off using it less frequently than the product recommendation, in the case of our AHA Dazzling Tonic (which has been dermatologically approved for sensitive skin) using it once every other day, or once a day. Introduce it slowly and in small amounts and build up from there. You can also do a patch test to see if it’s suitable for you.
Anti-ageing: lactic acid is known to be a gentle exfoliant, along with the ACB fruit mix which helps to brighten, and improve skin tone, and increases cell renewal, helping with wrinkles and signs of ageing.
For combination skin: chemical exfoliant of the ACB Fruit Mix and Lactic Acid helps to loosen the bonds between dead skin cells, helping to remove them and reveal new skin cells, unclogging pores, and helping with complexion.
Tingling may occur when using AHAs and can be a sign the that acids are doing their job. However, if your skin reacts more severely with intense discomfort then you should stop using it, and maybe check the concentration.
When using products like AHAs (including our Dazzling Tonic), it is important to make sure that you use SPF daily. This is due to the exfoliation of the skin, which means that the skin is more sensitive to the sun, and can increase risk of sunburn, or skin damage. SPF should be used in the winter months too. You can read more about the importance of SPF here.
Shop the skincare range here
View our skincare reviews here
Any information provided by us is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent disease. We always recommend referring your health queries to a qualified medical practitioner. Members of the Lucy Bee team can only offer their best advice.
Lucy Bee is a lifestyle brand selling skincare and soap products all completely free from palm oil and with minimal use of plastic. Lucy Bee is concerned with Fair Trade, organic, ethical and sustainable living, recycling and empowering people to make informed choices and select quality, natural products for their skin.